Tuesday, September 24, 2013


I am sorry for the late post for this review. I needed some time to rest and really get all my bearings back. It's been a hard for me(If you know what I mean). 

There will be only one artist from each team that will represent his/her coach in the finale next week. Did we really see great battles? Who represented each team? If we will be basing in on the poll that I posted on my past article, with 312 votes, here are the winners for each team: Team Apl - Thor, Team Lea - Radha, Team Sarah - Morissette and Myk for Team Bamboo. Were they right? Let us all find out.

I was blessed enough to watch the show live again. Thanks to the Thorifficallies for the ticket. :) They're really nice! The show started with Coach Apl performing his new single Balikbayan. His performance really pumped up the crowd and prepared them for much awaited battles.

It was Team Lea who got to perform first. If you weren't really following the show, you might thought that it was Radha and Mitoy who are fighting in the finale. Haha. Two of the most seasoned, experienced and best singers we have in the competition are fighting for that one last spot. 

Mitoy Yonting was the first to perform and he chose the song Power Of Love. My reaction after knowing that he'd be singing this one? HOLY S#IT. Perfect song choice at the perfect time! He will shine more because of this song! This song requires a lot of control and power but we all know Mitoy have them! He really gave a very good performance, in my opinion this is one of his best performances. We might always hear him really belt out the high notes but for me, although its still the same high hitting notes for Mitoy, this one is more precise and really well prepared. It sounded really good and smooth!

 
Mitoy Yonting - Power Of Love

If I was really amazed with Mitoy, I was at first really disappointed with the song choice of Radha, Let It Be? Really? I thought the song won't be the perfect choice and I was almost sure Mitoy will get it if she will just do the same version of the original song. I WAS 1000000% WRONG. That was probably one of the best versions I've ever heard!!! People on the Newport Theater gave her a standing ovation! Who knew that a simple song like Let It Be can have a version where you can feel empowered and really blessed? It was powerful, amazing and the things that she can do with her vocals are just really outstanding! She killed it. She nailed the song. Her performance for me was WORLD CLASS! I totally forgot Mitoy's performance after she sang! 


 
Radha Cuadrado - Let It Be

RESULTS: *I predicted Radha to win this battle.

Coach Lea gave Radha 55% and 45% for Mitoy. But it was the public votes who really spelled the difference. Mitoy really has the support of the voting public. He dominated Radha by getting 63.78% of the votes and 36.22% for Radha. 

I hope we get to see Radha on TV again and probably hear her release a new album again. My only concern for Mitoy is, I know he has like 60% chance of winning among the other finalists but I am still looking on what genre Mitoy's music apply. Will be he the new Jukebox King? :)

I think from this point on, we all know who will be the person to beat come the finale. :]

TEAM LEA's Finalist: Mitoy Yonting performing "BULAG"


Kamp Kawayan's up next. People tend to say that its the talent vs looks scenario on Team Bamboo but I beg to disagree. They are both extremely talented BUT Filipino voters really look for the Face first before the Voice. Myk is miles better than Paolo. Paolo's good, but for me it's really Myk who is the better among the two.

Myk Perez chose the song "Baby I Love Your Way" and it was surprisingly good since he did not have his guitar with him. Might not be the perfect Top 8 song choice for him but he gave the song justice. What I like about Myk is we know what kind of artist he is. He has his own style, any song that he performs, you know that it's Myk who's singing. It's quite impressive that he knows what he wants on a young age. The girls might love Paolo more than Myk, but I think Coach Sarah likes Myk more than Paolo. Haha. :)


This was a case of wrong song choice for Paolo. He could have beaten Myk if he chose a much more competitive song. Elesi is a great song but it's not a top 8 song in my opinion. The song choice caused his elimination. I knew he will need to double his effort in order to beat Myk but sadly he failed and I think Coach Bamboo knew that Myk was really the guy for him.


RESULTS: *I predicted Myk Perez to win this battle.

Coach Bamboo gave 55% to Myk and 45% to Paolo. It was expected that Paolo Onesa will win the public votes by a mile but it was very surprising that Paolo only beat Myk by 3%. Paolo got a 51.92% and 48.98% for Myk. Finally, 1/2. Myk moves to the finale!

I am sure Paolo Onesa will be on ASAP. He made the Zamboagenos really proud and and we really wish that the war will soon end there. Heads up, Paolo! (from Paolo. Haha) 

Myk's original song Fix You is my favorite. Great lyrics. Great music. He is really talented!

TEAM BAMBOO's Finalist: Myk Perez performing "Fix You"

Probably the most talked about battle are the singers from Team Sarah. Coach Sarah will really have a hard time on picking who she wants to represent her team. Will it be her younger version Morissette or her former competitor Klarisse? Morissette performed the song "Who You Are" and I really think she killed it. She was the first artist to give me chills last Sunday. My only comment from her performance was it lacked emotion for me. She has no problem with her voice, she clearly has the advantage with Klarisse but it just felt that something was missing even though it was already that great.


Klarisse was the biggest surprise of the night. She blew me away! I wasn't expect that at all. This is how you do it! She clearly knew when is the right time to pull a surprise! I am lost for words. Klarisse won the night. In my opinion, experience spelled the difference between Klarisse and Morissette.


RESULTS: *I predicted Morissette to win. 1/3. :\ haha.

Coach Sarah did the right thing by giving Klarisse 55% and 45% to Morissette. This was also one of the biggest surprise of the night. We all thought they will have a very close fight in the public votes but the performance of Klarisse really gave the edge. She got a very high 63.39% while Morissette got 36.61%. 

Morissette might have failed to win it again, first on Star Factor and now on TVOP  but I believe she made her mark in the industry already. She is now famous and making it big will just be a matter of time. She will be a big artist. :) Another artist who deserves to be on ABS-CBN. She is also very beautiful. :) Hoping for the best for Morissette.



Last but definitely not the least.... My team.. Team Apl. If Team Lea has Mitoy and Radha, Coach Apl have Mighty Thor and Great Janice. Two of the most soulful and equally experienced singers battling it out for that one last spot. If you're a frequent reader of my blog, you know who I'm rooting for. I am for Mighty Thor from Day1. I will be forever a Thor fan. Thor chose the song "Climb Every Mountain". After knowing that he will be singing that song the words I came out from my mouth was, "IT'S OVER". Hands down, best song choice among the eight of them. It's just a matter of delivery.

(Others might not agree but this is how I really feel) I felt his performance. BUT. I hated the arrangement of the song. I thought he could have been better if he somehow went with Guy Sebastian's version of that song. See his version on Australian Idol. I think the simple arrangement could have worked for him. He has the voice, and he really deserved to be in the finale!

This is his song. I knew it from the start. But I knew he gave his all. I'm contented with that. He gave his best. 



I thought of the same thing with Janice when I thought her song choice was boring. Imagine is a very simple song but after I heard Joshua Ledet's on American Idol, I suddenly got nervous. She will kill this one. And I was right, it sounded like a worship song. Janice's song clearly has the better song arrangement. She made sure she will get everything she can on that song and she was successful on doing it. I will give their battle a 51-49 score. with Janice having the higher score.


RESULTS: *Predicted Thor to win.

Coach Apl was honest enough to admit that both are really good singers. It's really a matter of who did better tonight. He gave Janice - 55% and 45% for Thor. I just realized the judges gave the same scorecards tonight. This is where I was really caught by a surprise, with Janice losing a lot to Jessica last time, I actually thought Thor will don't have any problem winning this one but I think the public seemed to agree with Coach Apl. Janice got 57.85& while Thor got 42.15%. 

I am sad that my idol Thor won't make it but I am happy that he lost to a worthy opponent. Janice is really great. She is really talented as well. :) I wish her the best. I am rooting for her and Myk to win this season!:) For my Idol Thor, might not be the happy ending that we would have wanted but I believe God has a reason for everything. This is your time. This is your time. :)

TEAM APL's final artist: Janice Javier performing "Coming Home"

I can't wait for next week! Clearly Mitoy has the upper hand among all of them but I hope the remaining three will give him a very good fight. I am very blessed to have seen the show live twice and the chance to meet my idol. Dream come true. :) Thank you again to Rizza of Thorifficallies, Ms. Mai Dulay, the very nice and beautiful wife of my idol and especially to my idol Thor :D :D :D

I will never forget this time. :) Early gift for me! Turning 23 this September 30. :)





I am bad on predicting winners. Haha. Got only 1/4. :(

Who are you rooting for? Team Apl? Team Lea? Team Bamboo? or Team Sarah? :)



surveys & polls


Credits to  TheVoiceABSCBN for the videos. 

4 comments:

  1. ako din, si Thor ang bet ko since day 1...since blind auditions. Ive loved Thor's voice ever since I first heard it some 10 years back when he sang his song "Wonderland"... although he didn't win TVOTP, I think music-loving Filipinos have finally taken notice of his talent, and I'd say that his stint here at TVOTP will serve as his springboard to a second chance at music stardom. His time to shine has come! He has the talent, the looks, and the right attitude to make it well in the music business...Go thor! Im with you all the way!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm... I was actually pretty disappointed with the semi finals last Sunday as I am always LOL

    I am always baffled by the reaction of people when Mitoy sings. Sure, he maybe in the Top 3 best vocals among all contestants on the show. The only problem I have with him is that when he performs, he seems to be somewhere else, his mind is wondering when he sings. I don't know. Don't get me wrong, I think he nailed that song big time but I cant seem to connect to him when he sings.

    Song suggestion for finals - Titanium by David Guetta

    As Ive said before, Radha should continue to surprise us with her song choice. And I was when I heard she's going to sing Let It Be. I was very optimistic that she'll be good last Sunday night. Boy I was so wrong. They tried so hard to re-arrange the song to show her vocal power that it didnt really work for me. At one point, she almost sang the wrong lyrics. After the "Mother Mary Comes to Me" she almost sang "Speak Words of Wisdom" and then changed it to the correct "Whisper Words of Wisdom." There was another point where she almost screamed. The most troublesome for me was that almost half the time she was singing, her eyes were closed. I was really surprised Lea gave her a higher score than Mitoy. But yeah, it was a bummer to see her not go to the finals.

    Probably, two of the weakest performances of the night came from Myk and Paolo. Advice, if a dude likes to play the guitar, dont take away the guitar from him! Myk presented a different side of himself that I didnt really like. Maybe because his guitar was not with him. The whole time he was performing, I just asked myself... What in the world is happening right now?! So many bum notes maybe because he's moving around too much and his gestures were so inappropriate. Yeah I agree, pleading to Sarah at the end of the song was a very smart move from him try to get some of the Popsters to vote for him. But he didnt deliver at all. I want to see him with his guitar and sing a descent song!

    Song suggestion for finals - Falling Slowly by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova

    Last Sunday, I enjoyed Paolo's performance. I really liked the vibe they gave with Elisi. It became a little sensual/adult song. I liked how he went for the melody on the "Elisi" lyrics. But the problem I had with him was he got drowned on the production. He was eaten by his back up dancers. Tacky move when one girl came to him at the end of the song and hug him. I got to give props to Bamboo for holding back a little bit with the freakin mash-up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can we have Morissette and Klarisse on the finals? I enjoyed the two of them last Sunday more than I expected. I am very surprised to see that a lot of the audience didnt know Who You Are. Having said that, Im thankful that Morissette sang it. Now people will know how great Jessie J as a vocalist. I like the growl she had on the first verse. I was not a fan on how she ended the song. There was also a flat/sharp point but it really didnt matter anymore. I enjoyed her performance.

    Okay, let me start by saying Klarisse nailed that song vocally. No doubt about that. What really troiubles me is her emotional connection to the song. "To Love Somebody" is a pleading song of a man that he can't have. This is a really really depressing song. That's why it was really off putting to see her smile from time to time. What's up with that?! As a singer, you should feel every lyric of the song she is singing, or even act if you cant relate. She failed on that. If I had two choose between them, I'll give a higher grade to Morissette. I think I can realte to her more.

    Song suggestion for finals - Big Girls Dont Cry by Fergie or Clarity By Zedd

    I know you're depressed that Thor didnt get through. It just so happen that Janice is gave a better performance that it transcended through the audience, even at home. I appreciate that he dedicated his song to all other struggling musicians/back up singers. That's very nice of him. But I didnt feel that anything when he sings, that's my biggest problem with Thor. Maybe its because of him being a vocal coach, he always make sure that he's on point. It shows in his face. Don't get me wrong, I think his voice is really really good. I just dont feel anything when he sings.

    Okay. First, let me first say that I love Janice. Im a fan. But her performance last Sunday was a little rough. I like her performance less and less the more I watch it. First, I loved the conviction she had during that time. I love she went low on the "No hell below us" lyrics and soared on the "Above us only sky" JUST GENIUS!! I'll admit, her voice sounded tired sometimes. At the middle of the song I was kind of confused to whether they're still playing the same song. The arrangement was unrecognizable already. But I loved that she took the song into a powerful direction. When she said "I'm telling you, I AM TELLING YOU" I was like "YES MAAM!! YES!!" as if she's saying like "You may lose hope but I'm not. You'll see, there's still hope for us and this country! You'll see!!" I gagged a little when they showed Ms Lea's reaction after her performance. Im not gonna say what I think she was thinking that time. I may be wrong. Haha

    Song Suggestion for finals - You Are So Beautiful by Joe Cocker

    I'm hoping that every team will pull out the big guns on the finals.

    ReplyDelete