Monday, August 26, 2013


This is how you do it! I gotta give it to The Voice Of The Philippines team for giving us a world-class set, music and performance! I was surprised to see the set! They did it!! From all the constructive criticisms they received from the blind auditions to the battle rounds, I'm pretty sure everyone's all contented with what they saw! Credits to the team!


I would like to congratulate the whole team for their collective efforts! I wish I could watch live! :) Great opening number too! I must say, the coaches really did their job as mentors! Who made it and who got booted out? Let's find out! 

I will do my review a little different, I will rank the 12 performances and explain whether they deserve what happened to them last night. I will start with the worst performance of the night:

(This is just my own opinion. Chill :) )

12: Corazon Dela Cruz - Nosi Balasi (Team Apl)

No doubt the worst performance of the night. She was struggling vocally and I can personally feel her nervousness. I get that Cora is really a rocker type of a singer but I would have liked to see her other side. She was always doing her signature kick then head bang move but that's it. Nothing new about her performance. She really performed bad last night. If ever she performed better, she was also unfortunate enough to be matched-up against Thor and Jessica who are two of the strongest members of #TeamApl. 


11. Talia Reyes - You Oughta Know (Team Bamboo)

This is hard since after Cora, I really thought all of them did quite good last night. :| I chose Talia because in that performance, I did not felt the desire to last in the competition. I know you need to perform but I felt that she lacked something; in my opinion her song doesn't have a big moment where she will really shine. But, in the good point, she really has a good tone. Original. Unique. 




10. Junji Arias - I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing (Team Sarah)

Surprised? So am I. I was 70% sure that the other slot would be a battle for Morissette and Mommy Eva since Junji kind of made his mark early in the competition. We expected that he will be the last man standing for Sarah. I don't know what happened, it maybe the nerves or too much excitement but that was definitely his worst performance we've ever seen. Too bad that it came at this point and even made it to the expense of his elimination. I have very high respect for Mr. Junji and I hope that we see more of him in the future.



9. Lee Grane - Make You Feel My Love (Team Bamboo)

We all expected a lot from Lee Grane. Coming from that very controversial Battle Round with Dan Billano we all thought that Lee Grane will really put on a good show come Live Shows. But....... She did not.. I did not understand the majority of the words she's singing and I kind of expected she will sing another slow song. I hoped she thought of doing something different. Her popularity on the show is slowly sinking and I don't know if it's just me or Coach Bamboo's the only one believing in Lee Grane. I really hope Lee Grane does something new next time, an upbeat song or any number without her guitar?


This is very hard from this point. The remaining 8 singers did their best last night.  

8. Jessica Reynoso - I Believe (Team Apl)

She did great, it's just that I've heard the song I Believe a lot of times and it's hard not to compare her version with them. We don't have to be negative at this point, Jessica's really great. I am very impressed with Jessica, at 16? Her voice and looks will take her to places! Only comment on her is to really pick her song choice from now on, every performance is very crucial so she has to really think and pick the right song for the right time. :)




7. Darryl Shy - Danny Song (Team Lea)

I was right when I predicted that he might be the dark horse on Team Lea and even on this competition. During one of the seasons of The Voice US, Nicholas David(who I think is Darryl's counterpart there; same genre and get-up) even reached finale and made it as the runner up on that season. A lot of people really love this kind of laid back songs and I think Mr. Darryl is here to stay. He really sounds authentic and heartfelt. This was his breakthrough performance so far. People will start to know him more.




6. RJ Dela Fuente - I'll Stand By You (Team Lea)

Coach Lea said what I want to say for RJ, the biggest improvement of them all. He is still shy and not that comfortable at the stage but his voice got more confident and became more controlled. I was really impressed with his version of I'll Stand By You since we've known this song as the song of Carrie Underwood. He definitely did all he can do with this song. He did really really really well. It's sad to see him go but that's how life really is. We win some and we lose some. I did my part as a supporter and voted for him like crazy, I am sure this is not the last time we will be hearing from him. I just wished he stayed much longer. 




5. Radha Tinsay - River Deep Mountain High (Team Lea)

What more can I say? PRO. PRO. PRO. Over qualified. :) She is more than ASAP ready than anybody else. She's really great. I don't know what to say really, she will be as great as she is from this point so all other singers must really watch out for her. The only thing I think that might actually cause her to lose is that the people might think that she is too good for this show, that she already had her time, she should give chance to others and etc. But as what Radha said on her blind audition, Kanya Kanyang Trip yan! :)




4. Thor Dulay - Narito (Team Apl)

PARTIDA. PARTIDA. PARTIDA. Hahahaha! He looked sick but he did not sound one! True professional! I was really shouting at home when he was performing. Call me bias but he is really amazing! He is my idol way way before he entered The Voice and this is the only time that I can really support him this much! His song choice is perfect and his vocal range is just limitlesss! Sky is the limit for Thor! I cannot wait t o see him in the finale! This is his time!!!

You might ask why I did not put Thor on the top spot, it's just the others really stepped up and surprised me. Thor will still be my #1 bet for this season!



3. Myk Perez - Isn't She Lovely (Team Bamboo)

Maybe I was too harsh for Team Bamboo on my other blogs but Myk clearly changed my mind. He was amazing. Great song choice, great performance, greatness at its finest. He was on point, he knows what kind of artist he wants to be. He deserves to be with Bamboo until the end. In my opinion, Myk Perez >>> Lee Grane. I am excited for his next performance, will we see him with the guitar again? I am rooting for you buddy!


2. Eva Delos Santos - So Far Away (Team Sarah)

Biggest surprise of the night! I personally did not expect that at all! She looked like a pro! She sounded like one too! That version of So Far Away was one of the best! From the piano to her vocals, it's perfect. She might be one of the more un-appreciated talents but I really believe in her talent. Imagine how she would have sound like when she was younger! This is pure talent that we are seeing. Mommy Eva still proving to us that she still has it like everybody else! Respect :)



1. Morissette Amon - Jar of Hearts (Team Sarah)

This is how you close a show! After this performance, people are now talking about her more. She isn't just a Sarah look-a-like but she is making a name for herself. Sarah really did her part on this one, I can see that they have a connection and Sarah's styles are being learned by Morissette! Hands down, best performance of the night!


Conclusion:

This night belonged to TEAM SARAH! Other teams must really double their efforts in keeping up with her team. She still has Maki for next week! Another advantage of the members of Team Sarah is their coach has the biggest fanbase among the four of them. No doubt. This just keeps the show more exciting! Props to the music band too for playing great music!

If you will rank the performers last night, what's the arrangement of your top12? Tell me!

Credits: ITHEVOICEPH for the videos.

Keep the Faith.
Paolo

4 comments:

  1. Agree! As a popster, I never doubted Sarah as a coach.



    Thank you.


    -popster from Cebu-

    ReplyDelete

  2. Sarah's team is really strong - Coming from a Thor Fan. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Thor too. Thor was the "vocal coach (not so sure though)" of Sarah G in her latest album "EXPRESSIONS". He's my bet in Team Apl. I hope he will made it to the finals. :)

      Delete
    2. Si Annie Quintos po ang vocal coach ni Sarah, matagal na.

      Delete