Thursday, September 19, 2013


Can't believe we only have two weeks left for the first season! It feels just like yesterday when the show started! From thousands of people who tried and gave their best, it all boils down to 8. Eight singers proved to be the best of the best. Who will be the sole bearer for each team? Who will be the first Voice Of The Philippines Grand Winner?

I did this so that we can somehow know the contestants more, and I can give my insights regarding their strengths and weaknesses and somehow predict if what will be their chances of winning. Again, this is just me. If you don't agree, I have a comment box below and let's discuss. :)

Let's start with #TeamAPL. My team. Haha.


Coach Apl De Ap have the soulful singer Thor Dulay and the very passionate Janice Javier.

Thor Dulay had his time back in 2004, where he released his self titled debut album: Thor, but things didn't went to his favor. And now, thru this competition, he hopes to relieve his fame once again and believes that this is the right time for him to re-introduce himself to the world.


How cool would it be to see Thor at the end of the competition knowing he was the one of those who performed on the pilot episode? 

Advantages:

- Vocal expertise. He is also a voice coach. 
- Experience. He's been here. He knows what went wrong at that time, and I'm pretty sure he will definitely not let go of this chance given to him.
- Celebrity connections. Having Vice Ganda as one of his supporters will really help his campaign since people's vote will also play a big part if he wants to win in this competition.
- 4 Chair Turner. Enough said.

Disadvantages:

- When will we see his other side? From I Have Nothing - I'll Make Love to You - Narito - Lately, we still haven't heard him sing a fast and upbeat song. Not a reason for concern but people might get bored and think that that's all he has to offer. It would be very good to give a mix-up every now and then.
- Complacency. His fans might think that since Jessica murdered Janice on the public voting means that this will be a walk in the park for him but I disagree. Fans need to know that Janice is a very good and strong competitor.

Janice Javier for me is the underdog in this match up. They might be somehow equal in experience but the fans of Janice need to do much much better to let Janice be in the finale for Team Apl.


Advantages:

- Stage presence. Commanding performance level.
- Probably one of the most powerful voices in the competition.
- Coach Apl's favorite on his team? He gave a 65% score vs Jessica.
- Experience. She's been traveling to share her music to others.
- 4 Chair Turner too.

Disadvantage:

- Public vote. She might get a high score from Coach Apl but she still needs a lot of support from her fans.


PREDICTION: 70%-30% THOR WILL REPRESENT TEAM APL IN THE END.


#TeamLea's up next! I am 100% sure, everyone expected this to happen. Radha Cuadrado and Mitoy Yonting battling it out for the last spot. After we saw Radha and Mitoy picked Coach Lea, we knew they will be here for a long time. And they delivered, providing us quality and world-class performances every week. Who has the upper hand? Let's see.



Radha Cuadrado


The former Kulay member wants to get another shot in the music industry. She had three albums under her band's name and this will be a very good chance for her to redeem what was once her world.

Advantages:

- She has been singing since she was 15. Talk about all the experiences she have under her belt. 
- People still recognize her. Hence, resulting to a sure people's choice come text votes.
- She doesn't need to do anything extra-special. Her voice does all the magic.

Disadvantages:

- People might think, she had her time to shine. Give chance to others.
- She is way too good in this competition. (I know this is a compliment but I still decided to put it in the disadvantage part)

Mitoy Yonting. People might recognize Mitoy since he was also performing as a comedian and people noticed him thru his video on Bulagaan where he surprisingly belted out Alone effortlessly. 



Advantages:

- Wide wide voice range. His range is limitless!
- Comedic approach. Filipinos love that.
- True blue performer.
- We missed this kind of performers. They are the perfect combination of attitude + talent.

Disadvantages:

- Will people buy his music? That's the question that I have. Radha's voice is more marketable in my opinion. I am still trying to figure out what kind of album can Mitoy give us.

PREDICTION: 52%-48% Too close to call but I think: RADHA TINSAY WILL REPRESENT TEAM LEA IN THE FINALE.

Coach Sarah team is up next and I think the Popsters wanted this battle to happen. Two different artists but both have connections with their Idol. Morrisette Amon will be going up against Klarisse De Guzman. This will be very interesting for Team Sarah.


Morissette Amon


She looks like Coach Sarah, but in my opinion she sounds better than Coach Sarah when Sarah was on the same age with her. Morissette sings like a pro even if she is still young. She was also a former contestant of Talentadong Pinoy and finished runner up on Star Factor. Both shows aired on TV5.

Advantages:

- Ka-look-alike charm. She will definitely have the votes from Sarah's millions of fanbase!
- Impeccable voice range and quality.
- She knows the best songs for her. 
- The next Sarah Geronimo?

Disadvantages:

- Can she handle the pressure of this competition? Or her youth will get the best of her?
- People might always compare her to Sarah.

Klarisse De Guzman


Sarah's former competitor on Star For A Night. She might not have the widest and highest range but her soulful voice and deep connection to every song she sings will be her main weapons.

Advantages:

- Coach Sarah's vote. 
- The voting public seems to be in her favor. I don't know why but Klarisse really has a strong following even just after her blind audition. :)
- 4 Chair Turner.

Disadvantage:

- We need to see more personality from her. Morissette shines even if she's not singing. Klarisse needs to step it up more.
- People are somehow questioning Coach Sarah's decision in keeping her around. Although I think Klarisse deserves it.

PREDICTION: 60%-40% MORISSETTE AMON WILL REPRESENT TEAM SARAH IN THE FINALE.

Last but definitely not the least, Coach Bamboo's Kamp Kawayan! Acoustic heartthrob Myk Perez will be battling against the soulful heartthrob Paolo Onesa. Who will be the last man standing for Team Bamboo?

I honestly had doubts with his team at first but after the Live Shows, I was contented on his picks. He did the right decisions at the right time! Kudos Coach!


Myk Perez


Myk's the guy for Coach Bamboo. Myk picked the right coach for him. Bamboo brought out the best in him. I am 100% sure this guy will soon provide countless hits! His version of Chasing Pavements has been getting crazy good reviews and even stayed at the #1 spot on iTunes!

Advantages:

- Better musicality than Paolo. Much more options for him to play.
- Confidence
- Stage presence.
- 4 chair turner

Disadvantages:

- His style is too comparable to his coach. He should be able to do his own style.

Paolo Onesa


Who knew this very shy guy from Mindanao will capture the hearts of everyone? After people criticized Coach Bamboo for picking him instead of the Cordovales duo, he proved to us why he deserved to stay. Week after week he continues to improve but will it be enough for him to win?

Advantages:

- Girls love him. Girls = Vote
- Marketable. His song was the first song to reach the #1 spot on iTunes!

Disadvantages:

- Nerves still shows. Pressure might bug him in the end.
- He needs to do a fast song. We want to see the other side of Paolo.

PREDICTION: 55%-45%. MYK PEREZ WILL BE THE LAST MAN STANDING FOR TEAM BAMBOO.

There you have it! That's my take on our Voice PH Top 8!

Credits to Google for the photos and also to voicePH

Keep the Faith.
Paolo


7 comments:

  1. My thoughts..

    Thor has to show that he is not a one-trick pony. Also during his performance, I personally wanna see different emotions from him. and, as JLo once said, "I dont want the intensity to come from him to doin well, I want the intensity to come from because your heart is breaking" or something like that. I dont wanna see another I-Have-Nothing song choice.

    Vocally speaking, I think Janice has this "in the bag," without question. But of course, that's not the only thing people are looking for a contestant (ironic that the show is called "The Voice" LOL). I agree that votes might be a big big disadvantage for her. The only thing she has now is her vocal power. For me, what I want to see from her is that she can finess a song. Finess a song and then pull-out the big guns at the right time. BTW, Im rooting for Janice that I might sound bias. Haha

    As for Ms Radha, keep on surprising us. When I heard she chose "Time After Time" , I gave it a side-eye, and I was like why is hse singing that?! But when she performed that, it didnt really matter anymore coz she owned that song.

    To Mitoy, I think a more restrained song will benefit him. He has to show that even with that big voice, he can respect a song by holding back but still hitting us in our guts. I think he's a lock in the finals, though. Filipinos love the daddy who-works-hard-for-his-family contestant.

    My advice for Morissette is find a way that would make people say that there is no like her at this moment. I know it'll be difficult for her but when she finds that, I think that she will the first winner of The Voice PH. But I still think she's gonna win this no matter what happens. LOL

    It'll take a lot for Klarisse to take Morissette down. I think creativity, turning a song into a different appraoch might save her from being eliminated. I think she can do it given that she already joined some singing competition.

    For me, Myk should stick into this indie PP kind of vibe. I love what he did with California Girls and I wanna see more of that AND NO MASH-UP PLEASE!!! Ugh..

    For Paolo, I think he should be singing the more restrained songs. I think that is where his voice really fits. If he's gonna win this competition, he needs to prove it. I personally dont want another "Skyfall" performance from him. It'll kill him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Very great comments man! We share the same thoughts! I am expecting a lot from Thor and Myk.

      Thanks for this feedback man! =)

      Delete
  2. your observations hold true for those from the upper-middle to upper class. remember, the whole philippines is voting here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paolo Onesa! Simply the BEST, Yan ang boses na hindi kailangang ibirit :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Star Factor po... Not Star Power...

    ReplyDelete
  5. your poll predicted 0/4 as far as the public vote was concerned...

    ReplyDelete