Monday, September 16, 2013


Disclaimer: While writing this article, I've been raping the repeat button on Myk Perez's performance last night. :)


I was blessed enough to got tickets to finally watch The Voice Of The Philippines live. The energy of the crowd was decent although far from the likes of the audiences from Ellen and Oprah but we'll get there! The stage was amazing!

This review will probably one of my best works since I've personally heard them all sing and it gave me a better view of what's happening live and how it differs from watching at home. I must say that the contestants really sound much better live although there is not much of a big deal but I really give respect to those who can really sing live smoothly.:)




Who completed the Final 8? Let's start.

#TeamApl was the first one to perform. Janice Javier will be up against the young and very talented Jessica Reynoso. This one was the hardest battle for me last night since they are really different from each other. Janice having this Rocker Chiq style and Jessica who's more likely to follow the footsteps of Whitney Houston and Beyonce.

Janice Javier was the first to perform and she sang Chain Of Fools. Her version of the song was great, her big voice was really commanding the stage. I enjoyed her performance and it seemed like she did too. This was one of her better performance since I thought her version of I Believe I Can Fly was her best performance to date. 

The biggest surprise of the night: We all thought Coach Apl will really give a close score for this two but I was also surprised when Coach Apl gave Janice 65% and 35% to Jessica. No disrespect to Janice but they are both good, I just did not expect that blowout score from Coach Apl.

Public's decision: 30.88%

Paolo's decision:  50% 


In my opinion, last night was Jessica's best performance in this show. It was heartfelt, and very well controlled performance. I honestly don't know why Coach gave her a low score, I was expecting more like 49-51 score for both of them. Just imagine, at 16 she's already like this? By 18 she's ready to conquer the world! I know she will go places. I just know it.

Coach Apl's decision: 35%
Public's decision: 60.02% (blowout score from the public! This was really interesting!)
Paolo's decision: 50%


 

And that's it for Team Apl! It will be the Soulful singer Thor Dulay up against Powerhouse vocalist Janice Javier for the final slot on Team Apl.

Team Sarah was the next to perform and before this show, Mommy Eva will be up against Klarisse De Guzman. I wanted Mommy Eva to really win this round but I was almost sure that Sarah will really give Klarisse a higher score(no disrespect, Klarisse is a good singer too) and the public will also vote for Klarisse. This is a big challenge for Mommy Eva as her back is up against the wall.

Mommy Eva did a very emotional performance last night, and I thought that somehow affected her performance. She was really feeling the song very well and that's good, I just thought she should have held back a bit and that would be a better performance. 

Coach Sarah's decision: 45%
Public's decision: 31.09%
Paolo's decision: 45%



Klarisse De Guzman was up next to perform. By now, everyone's kind of expecting that she'd be winning this battle because of her talent and her extra deep connection with Coach Sarah and I think she delivered last night. She actually did nothing special on that song but she provided the right amount of emotion the song really asked for. She was spot on and gave a very good rendition of the song I Can't Make You Love Me.

Coach Sarah's decision: 55%
Public's decision: 68.91%
Paolo's decision: 55%


Sarah will have an all female battle to know who will represent Team Sarah on the finale. Morissette Amon who's voice is just limitless and Klarisse who's experience might give her an edge against her opponent.

Team Bamboo is the next to perform and I will really say this, I've been really hard on Team Bamboo the past weeks, but THIS IS DEFINITELY THE BEST SINGERS COACH BAMBOO HAD IN HIS TEAM! Myk Perez and Isa Fabregas were both amazing last night!!

Isa was the first to perform and I was expecting this to be a blowout win for Myk, but she changed my mind after she started to sing! I instantly became a fan of her! Forgot what to call her style but I sense a bossa and jazz genre all combined on her voice. :) I look forward on her covers soon!

Coach Bamboo's decision: 45%
Public's decision: 33.87%
Paolo's decision: 48%

 

MYK PEREZ. BEST PERFORMANCE OF THE NIGHT. He's ready to do an album! I almost forgot that he was a contestant because everyone on the Newport Theater was singing and jamming with him. Easily the best performance :) I will definitely buy this on iTunes!

His voice might sound-like Coach Bamboo but what differs is he has a more pop feel and the audience seems to also like it!

Coach Bamboo's decision: 55%
Public's decision: 66.13%
Paolo's decision: 52%



This will be very interesting for Team Bamboo. All male final two! Myk Perez will be up against Paolo Onesa. 

Team Lea will have Radha Tinsay and Kimpoy Mainit battle it out for the last slot for the Final 2. In my opinion, everyone else knew that Radha will win this one. I think even Kimpoy knows it to himself. That's why I think it brought out the best in Kimpoy. Why? No pressure. He can do whatever he wants on that song. He can adlib and give it some style and he successfully did it. He gave a good performance!

Coach Lea's decision: 40%
Public's decision: 34.50%
Paolo's decision: 35%


I salute Ms. Radha for giving us a laid back and much more simpler performance last night. She have showed everyone how powerful her voice can be and last night she gave us something new. Might not be the way others wanted it, but I respected her decision to somehow hold back last night. Nevertheless, her performance was still one of the best! Talk about PRO PRO PRO. She's way too ready for this show! I cannot wait to see her concerts!


Coach Lea's decision: 60%
Public's decision: 65.50%
Paolo's decision: 65%



Coach Lea will parade two of the best singers in the whole competition! Radha Tinsay will be up against Mitoy Yonting.



Another great decision from the public!Can't wait for next week! I hope I can watch live again. Haha. :) I will do another blog featuring our Top 8 soon!:) 

Credits: TheVoiceABSCBN for the videos!

Keep the Faith.
Paolo

2 comments:

  1. Nice review. I have a couple of points, though.

    Between Janice and Jessica, I understood why Apl gave those scores. I think Janice still out-sang Jessica even if the later gave a much more solid performance than last week. But I feel like the soul that she has was not their in "Ikaw" and I think it was Apl's fault. He tried to iron out that on Jessica. BTW, I think her audition was her best performance. Janice on he other hand gave a very very solid vocal on Chain of Fools. Love the adlibs she did with the song. Huge Voice. and also, for me her "Natural Woman" was her best performance.

    Between Ms Eva and Klarisse, I would also give that round to Klarisse. I agree, Ms Eva was so emotional while she's singing that she almost forgot that this is still a singing competition. She will not get praises with an overflowing emotion but missing her notes and singing out of tune. It was really rough to see her perform that song. With Klarisse, I didn't like what they did to the song. They turned it to a diva-like arrangement in which the song didnt really needed. It breathes to pain and emotion without the big notes. Still, I think Klarisse, vocally won the round.

    Between the Isa and Myk, I would have given that round to Isa. At first, I was into her when she was singing No One. I felt the soul, that she meant evry word of that song. And bamboo had to ruin the mood with a freakin mash-up w/c really didnt make sense at all. It was a total W-T-F moment. With Myk, I hated that they added beat to the song. I had to endure hearing the audience clapping, which tells me they dont know the meaning of the song. The same thing with the performance, adding the beat almost drowned the true meaning of the song. I hated every part of the song. Well, that's just me.

    Between Kimpoy and Radha, hands down, it was Radha's moment. Her version of TIme After TIme was just sublime. and I loved that most of the she just caressed the song, heartfelt phrasing. and when she goes for the big moments I was like *woah* I cant believe how controlled she was during the performance. Again, the mood had to be ruined by the audience clapping again. Guys, we're not in school that when you see a little cute kid singing and then you guys start clapping. YOU ARE RUINING THE PERFORMANCE FOR CHRIST'S SAKE! Ugh! But other than that, I think it was the performance of the night. Kimpoy on the otherhand gave a pretty solid vocal compared to his last performance Hallelujah. I dont want to go to the explotives that I said when he was performing that song. Even Ms Lea was cringing when Kimpoy tried to hit the plateaus they had on the song.

    BTW, sorry for the bad english. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hi! Appreciate all the comments.

      Radha - no questions asked. You are on point. But I have to disagree with the clapping part. Some were instructed but for the majority of the part, people were the ones who initiated the clapping. They were all having fun.

      It also applied during the performance of Myk, the audience was really pumped up with his performance and they really enjoyed it.

      Klarisse and Eva. You got it right too. But personally, I was really rooting for Mommy Eva since she gave it her all.

      Great insights! :) Thank you!

      Delete