Monday, September 9, 2013


And so the real battle begins. The quest for the very first The Voice Of The Philippines winner will come from this very talented 16 artists. It is very good to see a wide variety of music styles being showcased for this season. Last night was no exception, who made it to the top8? Did the public and the coaches gave the right score? Let's find out.

TVOP divided the group of 16 into 2 groups, with the first one performing first last night. Two members from each team will battle it out for one slot on their respective teams, but this time, the public and coaches have the equal scoring. 50% for the public votes and 50% for the coaches decision.

First to perform was Team Sarah's Morissette Amon and she will be up against the soulful Maki Ricafort. I am honestly disappointed with this pairing because I saw this coming up but not this early, I predicted them to fight for that final slot for Team Sarah. Both are very talented and it's really sad to see them go at this time of the competition. 


Morissette performed the song What About Love. Not the song I would have picked for her, but that's good since she showed her versatility as a singer. She did really well on the song and she really chose her moments very well. She knows where to hit the high notes and just let her voice do the magic.

Coach Sarah's decision: 60%
Public's decision: 50.41%

I think Morissette really brought her A game last night. She deserved that win. The public got it right too.


If only Maki performed One Last Cry last night instead of last Saturday, this will be a different battle in my opinion. Maki wasn't able to maximize his talent on this song. He sounded great, but the viewers are always waiting for that one big moment where they can say, "Yes, I will be voting for this guy!". It lacked that wow factor.

Coach Sarah's decision: 40%
Public's decision: 49.59%


Note: I wouldn't be surprised if it will be a Klarisse vs Morissette fighting for the last spot on team Sarah. But in my opinion, Morissette's the best on Sarah's team by far. 

This is my favorite battle last night. Team Lea's Darryl Shy and Mitoy Yonting. Two different artists but have one thing in common. Pure musicality. Musicians at its finest. They bleed music. It's evident. I was more impressed with Sir Darryl Shy (I tend to call him Sir because I really like his music and he is really one of the most underrated singers in the competition).



Majority of the people predicted that this will be a walk in the park win for Mitoy but Sir Darryl proved them wrong. He sang last night to win. He did a magnificent job singing "Balita" and I really liked it. This Noel Cabangon type of music is what our industry misses. We've had enough of the party songs and digitalized music. We need this somehow folk music back on our radio.

Coach Lea's decision: 40% (I really thought she'd be in favor of Darryl)
Public's decision: 55.89% (Yes people, she bested Mitoy on public votes. I guess the 82% Mitoy last week was attained because of the people he was up against with. No offense to Mitoy's talent and all but he was clearly the best on Team Lea last week so it made the public's decision a lot better)



As much as I wanted to see more of Sir Darryl Shy, but who are we kidding? Who doesn't get excited whenever Mitoy performs? He is on a different level, 10 levels higher than the rest. Coach Sarah was right, where have you been all this time? Although sometimes I think whenever he performs the approach becomes too theatrical but who cares? His voice has not limits! It will be very tough to see him battle against Radha!

Coach Lea's decision: 60%
Public's decision: 44.11%


Kamp Kawayan's up next and I am pumped up to see what his team can bring tonight. People have been really mad at Coach Bamboo for always saving Lee Grane. He saved her twice. And people on the social media are wishing that hopefully Coach Bamboo will make up his mind and also for Paolo Onesa to give a good job.


Lee Grane was the first one to perform, I was excited while watching her VTR because she said she'd sing a faster song, but when she sang it, I was like, you have got to be kidding me. It is still the same as before! Same attack every time. I was really disappointed. At this time, I was just hoping that Paolo will really perform great.

Coach Bamboo's decision: 40% (FINALLY, COACH =) you made a lot of people believe in you again after this decision)
Public's decision: 18.76% (The public has really spoken. Pretty sure the fans of Dan and Talia also joined force in saving Paolo)


Not the flashiest performance of the night but I would to say that Paolo did his job last night. He gave justice to the song Skyfall and the fans obviously loved it. My only concern for Paolo is I hope he opens up more, loosen up more. He has the talent. He just have to start believing because people believe in him.


Coach Bamboo's decision: 60%
Public's decision: 81.24% (Paolo Onesa fans + Dan&Talia fans + Lee haters made this possible)


It was Team Apl tasked to be the last to perform and I must say, this was also one of the hardest. His team is just loaded with a lot of talents and that's good for all of us! This is the battle of the two most consistent singers on Team Apl!

Penelope is also one of the more underrated contestants because of too many talented artists on Team Apl but she really is a star. Her voice is magical and I must say, crazzzzzzyyyyy clean. And that's where I also had a problem with her, maybe she was too concentrated on the thought that her performance should be perfect so she lacked giving emotion on the song.

Coach Apl's decision: 45%
Public's decision: 35.28%


If you will sing a Stevie Wonder song, you gotta think twice or thrice before doing it. First, as a singer too his songs are hard and really needs a lot of emotion and power. But Thor just blew it all! He was amazing, I can really feel that he is offering his every performance to his late mother. I honestly see myself in him, I hope I can be like him next year.. Haha. He is really one of my favorite singers aside from JayR, and others. 

He took the song Lately to a different zone. He did it really, I mean really really well. Outstanding.


Coach Apl's decision: 55%
Public's decision: 64.72%

In all honesty, Penelope did great. Really great. It's just who did better at that time and I think the public got it right when they saved Thor. 



One of the highlights of the night was really the performance of Ms. Lea Salonga and THE Patti Austin! It was amazing and I really felt that Patti was impressed with our local talents!


The coaches, and most especially the public got it right this time! I really hope we can still be like this come our National Elections! Can't wait for next week!

Anyway, the studio versions are available on iTunes :) Go buy and support them!

Credits: ABSCBNBestProgram for the videos. Google for Photos.

Keep The Faith.
Paolo



3 comments:

  1. Thanks. Sa palagay ko. Lahat ng nangyari kagabi ay tama. Except kay Mitoy. Masyado ng popular ang boses niya. This time we need a unique voices. Para nmn kay Lee Grane, amgaling siya, pero hindi pang The Voice ang boses niya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, all 8 artists last night did a great job on the song they performed. In fact almost all of them got a positive feedback from me.

    Team Sarah:

    Morissette Amon - It was technically flawless. She might catapult to the top of the rankings. She left me wanting more. Nonetheless, I remember this song performed by Amber Holcomb in American Idol.

    Maki Ricafort - A natural innate performer. He can sing and play an instrument that takes talent. He is a true musician for me. However, he needs to improve his diction. There were time I can't understand the lyrics he sang.

    Team Lea:

    Darryl Shy - WOW! BISAYA dialect. He puts his own style and arrangement. This performance was oozing soul. I love it :) I am with Lea, this performance is worth to be downloaded on Itunes.

    Mitoy Yonting - He puts more vocal dynamics to this rendition. He could win the whole thing with that amazing voice! But as a viewer I also wanted him to show restraint, it seems like I find him like another Joshua Ledet who is more on screaming stuff.

    Team Bamboo:

    Lee Grane - She is a great and a soulful artist but she sounds the same every week. Don't get me wrong, what I love about her is every time she performs she's like telling you a story however the problem is as a viewer I am having a hard time understanding what she's trying to convey because of her diction.

    Paolo Onesa - He was a little too stiff on stage but he was amazing. He was not afraid to venture outside of the box. I am happy he didn't do the falsetto stuff in hitting the high note because if he did, that would be excruciating.

    Team Apl:

    Penelope Matanguihan - She is vocally gifted and no doubt I found myself still in awe after I watched her performance. This is her zone. She performed a song that showcases her voice range.

    Thor Dulay - This guy deserved the pimp spot. Again, same with Penelope, his singing leaves me in awe. He really slayed that song. Emotionally-wise and I think he did a stellar job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Great reviews too!:) Wow!:)

      I agree with everything that you said!

      Delete